•  Home
  • Airlines

Suspected stowaway falls from plane and lands three feet from sunbather

A body that landed in the garden of a London resident is suspected to have been a stowaway aboard a Kenya Airways plane. The Clapham resident was sunbathing on Sunday afternoon when the body landed merely three feet from them. The body reportedly hit the ground with such force it left a small crater in the garden, destroying the path.

"He was so lucky not to be hit and killed," a friend of the tenant, who was inside the house at the time, told The Sun. "The impact obliterated the body."

A Kenya Airways flight to Heathrow Airport was passing over the house at approximately 15:30pm on Sunday, travelling at around 3,500 feet at 200 mph. It is believed the deceased fell from the Boeing 787 aircraft after it lowered its landing gear in preparation for arrival at Heathrow.

The unnamed tenant explained what his friend went through following the impact: “He didn't even realise what it was to begin with. He was asleep and then there was a huge impact. The body literally landed one metre away from him and was obliterated. My friend was very shaken.

"There were a few of us in the house at the time and it was lucky only one of us was in the garden. Nobody would have survived being hit. The impact was horrific."

After authorities arrived, it was difficult for the police to identify whether the person was male or female. It is also unknown whether they were alive or dead prior to their fall from the plane. If they were alive, they would've had to have been somehow prepared to survive a low oxygen environment and very low temperatures over a nine-hour period, so it's unlikely.

A police statement issued after the incident read: "A bag, water, and some food were discovered in the landing gear compartment once it landed at the airport," a police statement issued after the incident read. "Enquiries continue, led by the South Central Command Unit and the Met's Aviation Policing Command. Officers will be liaising with the airline and international authorities."

The tenant has moved temporarily back with their parents following the incident.


Source: VT